While you’ve been Spring Cleaning, the phrase “out with the old and in with the new” may have been on your mind. But “old” is not a pejorative and it shouldn’t always be dismissed out of hand, especially when it comes to your home. When old has a story, when it’s timeless, when it’s unforgettable- it’s not just old it’s vintage, a.k.a. the crème de la crème of home decor. There are so many styles to choose from in RVA and you can find pieces that span the decades, but where? Here we’ll share some of the best places where you can find vintage furniture in Richmond, Virginia.
In Richmond, the homes are steeped in architectural history and styles that have stood the test of time. You can drive through the city and see Midcentury Modern, Italianate, Colonial Revival, Georgian, Victorian, Cape Cods and more! In an article from Dwell Magazine, Richmond was described as “such a visually dynamic city. The clean lines and lack of ornamentation that define modern architecture stand out against traditional materials like red brick and cobblestones, and classical details like columns and arches.” But our area homes and buildings are not just about the outside, but the inside as well.
When we list homes that have a blend of vintage style and modern elements, like the ones pictured above, potential buyers fall in love at first sight. Homes that are well decorated to reflect a home’s architectural history and style through vintage furniture & antique pieces can make a big impact. But where to start? When it comes to adding vintage pieces to your home, you can add them almost anywhere! Peruse this photo gallery for some inspiration.
With those pictures of vintage and antique furniture decor ideas fresh, you may be wonder how you can start decorating in a similar fashion- or one all your own! Consider checking out some local favorites for antique finds and check out this list of where to find vintage furniture in RVA.
- RVA Antiques – 612 Lakeside Ave, Henrico VA – You can find this great shop in Lakeside which features 60 vendors and has a great collection of antique furniture and housewares for you to choose from.
- Epoch Furnishings – 6290 Old Warwick Rd, Richmond, VA – An amazing place to buy midcentury modern furniture, with genuine pieces from the era and those in the Danish Modern style. You can shop in store, or online.
- Class and Trash – 11088 Washington Hwy, Glen Allen, VA & 1720 Altamont Ave, Richmond, VA (and one in Kill Devil Hills if you’re visiting the Outer Banks!) – The Class and Trash shops have found their niche in funky and affordable finds and they’re full of fantastic finds.
- Diversity Thrift – 1407 Sherwood Ave, Richmond, VA – This thrift store has vintage furniture and clothes to fit any interests. In addition to being a great resource for vintage- Diversity Thrift supports the nonprofit Diversity Richmond.
- Verve Home Furnishings – 4903 W Leigh St, Richmond, VA – Dubbed a “modern warehouse” this showroom has a large offering of vintage and midcentury modern furniture and decor. Check out this store that describes itself as “just the right amount of wrong.”
- Sheppard Street Antiques – 1126 N Arthur Ashe Blvd, Richmond, VA – This small shop has a big impact and has a great collection of high quality pieces and occasionally hosts events like trunk shows.
- Dust Vintage Home Furnishings – 2401 Westwood Ave, Richmond, VA – At Dust you won’t find dusty old antiques, but shining examples of Hollywood Regency and midcentury modern furniture, as well as impactful art pieces.
- West End Antiques Mall – 2004 Staples Mill Rd, Richmond, VA – Find antiques from here in Virginia, as well as across America and England. If there’s a vintage style you’re looking for you’ll probably find an example of it here.
- Project 1 Home Furnishings – 2012 Staples Mill Rd, Richmond, VA – You’ll find vintage furniture here, blended with modern pieces and updated works. At their retail space they also offer home goods services.
- Brick Alley Co. – 1328 W Broad St, Richmond, VA – While the showroom is by appointment-only, you’ll be happy to know you can shop this local store online- an accessible option for many people. Find all types of furniture and artwork for your decor.
- Thrill of the Hunt – 315 England St, Ashland, VA – Just north of Richmond and in the heart of “The Center of the Universe” Ashland, this fun shop has vintage, well-made furniture that has been updated, as well as home goods and art from local artisans.
- Caravati’s – 201 England St, Ashland, VA – This shop isn’t a traditional antique furniture story, but rather antique salvage that features pieces salvaged from older homes and buildings around the area. If you’re looking for doorknobs or windows (or anything else) to outfit your older home, you can probably find it at Caravati’s.
- Past Chapters – 1123 Alverser Dr, Midlothian, VA – This spot in Midlothian is a treasure trove of midcentury modern, vintage furniture. Be sure to check out their available records for sale, as well.
- Gates Antiques – 12700 Old Buckingham Rd, Midlothian, VA – Established in 1961, this store is considered “Virginia’s largest selection of Fine Quality Home and Office Furniture and Accessories.” Visit the showrooms to see antiques that span the history of Virginia.
- Sixty West Vintage – 8004 Midlothian Tnpk, Richmond, VA – This antiques mall has 50 different roomsof antiques, vintage furniture, home goods and collectibles.
There are dozens of options in Richmond to fit almost any vintage style that you can come up with. Remember, though, that antique pieces and older homes tell a story, but when decorating your home, you should always strive to tell your story first and foremost.